Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Motherhood

I am settling into motherhood quite well. I am doing things mummies do - it's such a cliche but it seems to work well with the lifestyle. I had the girls from yoga class over today for tea and cupcakes. Four little babies around a month old. And of course our mini hostess with the mostess, Betty Jean, wriggled the whole time while all the other babies slept.

After talking breastfeeding, sleeping times, and the quirks and foibles of baby digestion for 3 solid hours, I am feeling more confident about going out. I am the first of anyone I know to have a baby, but now I am feeling less isolated. I might have a little adventure tomorrow as it is becoming apparent that we are now social lepers. 3 weeks comes and goes for the busy people of the real world, but 3 weeks for me is a cycle of nappies, crying, and no smiles - yet. I am desperate for adult company so I am just going to have to go out and get it!

Paula and Pats are coming over Friday bringing lunch and gossip. I am so looking forward to seeing some people from my old life. Don't get me wrong, I am still completely enamoured of my little girl. It's also quite a strange phenomenon that now that we have a baby we are doing more and more of the things we have talked about - Julian has about 20 seedlings in plastic cups in the kitchen - sweet peas- I didn't know they weren't food! We have bought a PH meter, and some 1000 year old bat poo fertiliser. Julian has built a herb garden (without the herbs), and we have bought a trellis. I will be "casting nasturtiums" in the front garden come the beginning of spring, and I have chased the postie away from our mailbox, demanding to know what exactly he thinks "no junk mail" means. Getting back on track.

No comments: