Thursday, July 07, 2005

How do we feel about London?

ATTACKS KILL AT LEAST 33
At least 33 people have been killed and 1,000 injured in a series of terror attacks on London.

The first blast hit a train leaving Liverpool Street Station between Moorgate and Aldgate East at 8.51am. Seven people are confirmed dead in that blast.

At 8.56am a blast occured on a train between King's Cross and Russell Square killing 21 people.

Five people were killed in a blast at Edgware Road Tube station. Three trains are believed to have been hit by this explosion at 9.17am.

At 9.47am a number 30 bus at Upper Woburn Place was hit by a fourth blast. Emergency services could not confirm the number of dead in this attack.

A previously unknown group calling itself "Secret Organisation al Qaeda in Europe" said it carried out the attacks as revenge for British "military massacres" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

London hospitals have reported a total of 300 wounded after a series of blasts hit locations across the city on buses and Tube stations.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said there was evidence of explosives at least two sites.

Scotland Yard has denied reports they were warned of an attack by Israel minutes before the blasts.


This is a news article - I thought I would post this as it is the most accurate thing I can find. It also helps me put the morning's events into a time frame. My time frame til now has consisted mostly of what I thought were rumours, and lots of confusion. A bit of a slow blur.

I arrived at Caledonian Road Tube just after 9am and thousand were streaming out of the station to wait for buses. Not a big surprise to anyone who has ever used the Tube. A station master explained there had been a major security alert, and that the entire Tube was closed. People just put it down to someone spotting an unidentified Tesco's bag, and didn't think much of it. I had my horn, so of course, no-one would let me on a bus. I had to wait around 30 minutes to be let on. We moved along very slowly, the bus being extremely full. There was lots of moaning by the angry commuters, but at this stage, still a typical morning.

We became gridlocked outside King's Cross station. One of the passengers mentioned an explosion, but Julian texted me to say it was reported to be an electrical fault at one of the stations. When we were finally kicked off the bus due to old fashioned gridlock, there were thousands and thousands of people wandering around trying to work out how they were going to get to work. I tried calling a couple of people, but no luck. King's Cross was blocked by Police in all directions. I saw a woman crying and covered in black soot, but still no news of anything malicious. Then I overheard a man on his mobile who said a bus had just been blown up.

I finally got hold of Julian and told him that I had heard of a way around King's Cross to get to the West End. Unfortunately after I hung up, Julian realised I was heading towards where the bus had had its top ripped off. He tried calling, but of course, he couldn't get through. In fact, the cafe where I gave up and just started drinking endless cups of tea (as you do in a crisis), was about a block from the bus, and the alley was being used to ferry the imjured and shocked. I was in the cafe for about 2 hours and Julian finally got in touch with me and came to help me back home with my horn. The West End was full of Army personel and they asked for people to just go home or try to stay put rather than try and come in to the city.

Considering all of us were a block from 2 of the bombs, the Police and all the commuters were super calm. One guy I was chatting to said that his generation were kind of accustomed to things exploding after 20 years of IRA attacks in London. The Police were actually amazing. Really helpful and informative when they could be.

Sylvie at work is too scared to catch the bus home. Lots of people are bunking in hotels for the night as they have no chance of getting home. Strangely, I don't feel scared, not even with the baby. The explosion happened on my line, but luckily I like to lie in and would never have dreamed of getting to the station in time for a terrorist attack. It's so strange that after years of being afraid that my plane would explode mid air, I really don't feel like I can allow this to change my life (maybe I would feel differently if I saw more). I am just really grateful that everyone I know is absolutely fine - and it's nice feeling loved when people try and try to contact you to see if you're ok.

And if any of you terrorists out there want to hurt my Julian at peak hour, you're going to have to come to our place. (One of the joys of working from home - he's fine too).

No comments: